News, Top Story

1st Phase of Castries Market Redevelopment Completed

The first phase of the Castries Market Redevelopment Project was officially handed over to the Castries Constituency Council yesterday, Sunday 3rd  May, in a ceremony that was streamed live on Facebook and other social media platforms.

First phase castries market

It was a project that had several delays which extended completion date to almost a year, compared to the three months that was first given for its completion when Castries Mayor Peterson Francis told reporters in early April, 2019 that work would commence that very same month.

The EC$32 million project is said to be able to withstand wind speeds up to a category five hurricane. It includes a sheltered area, structurally designed to enable the free flow of provisions market vendors and other market users.

The new facility is outfitted with 100 stalls that will accommodate all provisions vendors. In addition, the existing comfort station was spruced-up and refurbished to contribute to the overall ambience.

Vendors utilizing the old Jeremie Street Fire Station site where they were temporarily placed, will be relocated to their new home in the coming days.

Castries Market Ribbon Cutting

The next component of Phase 1 of the project will see the construction of a Container Box Park creating an avenue for micro enterprising cosmetic shops, cafés, pubs and eateries.

Thereafter, the remaining component of Phase one will include modifications to the entrance of the market adjacent to the Castries harbour, construction of a state-of-the-art food court, high-end air conditioned restaurants, a refurbished craft market, entertainment area and meat and fish depots.

Phase 2 will entail the construction of a viewing tower and duty-free shopping boutiques. (Full story in Saturday’s paper)

Micah George is an established name in the journalism landscape in St. Lucia. He started his journalism tutelage under the critical eye of the Star Newspaper Publisher and well known journalist, Rick Wayne, as a freelancer. A few months later he moved to the Voice Newspaper under the guidance of the paper’s recognized editor, Guy Ellis in 1988.

Since then he has remained with the Voice Newspaper, progressing from a cub reporter covering court cases and the police to a senior journalist with a focus on parliamentary issues, government and politics. Read full bio...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *