Charles, Eugene Lead Men Crafton, William Lead Women.
WEST Indies opening batsman Johnson Charles and Windwards Youth player Johnnel Eugene captured the Male Senior and Junior Cricketer of the Year awards respectively at the Saint Lucia National Cricket Association’s 6th Annual Fundraising Dinner and Awards held on Saturday evening at the Bay Gardens Hotel.
Charles beat out Dalton Polius, Daren Sammy and Johnnel Eugene for the title. West Indies T20 and ODI batsman enjoyed a successful 2016 representing the Saint Lucia Zouks in the Caribbean Premier League, as well as performing well with the West Indies in the T20 World Cup in India. The West Indies won that title for the second time.
Eugene, who registered a number of good performances for the Windwards Youth team in the West Indies youth tournaments, will join a 20-man West Indies Under-19 squad on Friday in Grenada where he will undergo training, to prepare the players for the Regional Super50.
Charles and Eugene also captured the titles in 2015.
Windwards Female Under-19 captain and all-rounder Nerissa Crafton captured the Junior Female Cricketer of the Year ahead of Qiana Joseph and Alleya Alfred while middle order batter Swayline William walked away with the Senior Female Cricketer of the Year Award. Other awards presented on the night were as follows:
• Esteemed Award for Sporting Excellence: Daren Sammy.
• Team of the Year: South Castries Females (won all three competitions).
• District of the Year: South Castries
• Administrator of the Year: Stuart McKee (Choiseul)
• Coach of the Year: Alton Crafton
• Best-kept Cricket Facility: Mindoo Phillip Park
• Technical Official of the Year: Junior Derose
• Community Achievement Award – Cricketer Dillan John, Coach John Smith, Administrator Al Prince, and District – Choiseul
• Affiliates’ Choice Cricket Personality of the Year – Dalton Polius
The guest speaker on the evening was Dominic Fedee, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for Tourism, Information and Broadcasting, who spoke on the theme, “Team Work Makes the Dream Work”.